Protection International is currently recruiting a French Editorial Assistant (Volunteer)
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Protection International (PI) is an International NGO that contributes to the improvement of the protection of human rights defenders throughout the world. PI provides tools to develop defender’s capacity to manage their own security as they struggle against impunity and work in favour of human rights and democracy in their respective countries or regions. PI seeks to contribute to a situation where human rights defenders are recognised as legitimate actors for social change and to an environment where they can exercise their right to defend universally accepted human rights.
Protection International has its head office in Brussels, but primarily works where protecting human rights defenders is needed. We have long term presence in Colombia, Guatemala, DR Congo, Kenya, Thailand and Indonesia; and we also work with partners in countries like Egypt, Italy, Brazil, Honduras, Mexico, Chad, Nigeria, Burundi, Somalia and Pakistan.
Further information on PI and its activities can be found on our website: www.protectioninternational.org.
Protection International is an equal opportunities employer.
Key objectives and responsibilities:
Support PI’s Advocacy & Outreach Unit in the implementation of communication initiatives in order to raise PI profile in support of Human Rights Defenders at the EU and international level:
- Support PI’s Advocacy & Outreach Unit in editing French news and policy content
- Manage and/or carry out translations of content between English (and Spanish if possible) and French for PI’s website and communication/advocacy campaigns in social media channels;
- Assist in drafting, translating and editing publications, briefs, articles, press-releases, and general web-entries in French
- Assist in social media management geared towards PI’s French-speaking audiences
- Assist in the production of a media monitoring report around news on human rights defenders;
Communication and reporting to Structures:
- Reporting to and collaboration with the Communications & Outreach Coordinator;
- Participate in the general coordination with the head office team and with PI field offices (including team meetings).
- Education and experience:
- Bachelor Degree in relevant field (Translation/Interpretation, Multilingual Communications)
- 1-2 Experience (internship or volunteer work accepted) in a similar communications post or with a NGO is a plus
- Prior experience managing social media and websites (WordPress, Drupal) desired
- Great writing and editing skills are essential, as well as someone who knows how to tell a story
- Native French speaker fluent in English; preferably fluent in Spanish.
- Intern should be able and willing to work remotely from home most of the time, coming into the office 1-2 days a week.
- Personal Qualities:
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- Non-remunerated internship, part-time (24 hours/week) for 6 months.
- Target starting date: ASAP.
- Please apply by sending your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title: French Editorial Assistant
- Applications will be reviewed and contacted for interviews on a rolling basis until the appropriate candidate is found.