RESEARCH FINDINGS: 'NAVIGATING RISK, MANAGING SECURITY, AND RECEIVING SUPPORT'
09 JUNE 2017
Alice Nah, our Board Director, developed with the Centre for Applied Human Rights of York University a research project on ‘Navigating Risk, Managing Security, and Receiving Support’ focusing on the experiences of human rights defenders in Colombia, Mexico, Kenya, Egypt, and Indonesia. The research findings are available in English, Arabic, Spanish, Kiswahili and Bahasa Indonesia.
The website also includes the following resources:
- A Policy Brief on ‘Wellbeing, Risk and Human Rights Practice’ (available in English, Spanish, Arabic, Kiswahili, Bahasa Indonesia)
- A Policy Brief on Indonesia (available in English and Bahasa Indonesia) and a Summary of Findings on Indonesia (available in English and Bahasa Indonesia)
- A Summary of Findings on Mexico (available in English and Spanish)
A number of artists have also produce creative responses to these research findings. On this page, you will see the following:
- Poetry films made by students at the Centre for Applied Human Rights on the topic of wellbeing of defenders at risk, based on verbatim poetry composed by Juliana Mensah from the transcripts of some interviews
- Two songs by a Kenyan artist, Rapasa, in Luo and Kiswahili languages celebrating the journey of human rights defenders
Over the next few months, they will be adding short films, drawings, paintings, music, poetry and other creative work based on the experiences of defenders.
If you are interested on receiving more information on the project, you can sign up to their mailing list: https://securityofdefendersproject.org/join-our-mailing-list/